How Keyword Research Drives Traffic to Your Business Website
Many people think the prime goal of SEO is driving traffic to your small business website. They’re only half right.
The real goal is to drive targeted traffic to your site.
Targeted traffic converts into website lead generation and that’s what keeps you in business.
Bringing the right people to the right pages is a matter of using keywords effectively.
To do this correctly, you must be willing to put aside the idea that search engines exist to send you traffic.
You’re not trying to trick search engines into noticing your site, you’re architecting your website to make it more friendly to search engines.
Keyword research enables you to look into the minds of your customers and help them find you using the same words they use when searching.
There are 5 essential elements of keyword research:
- Keyword Research Tools– There are numerous free tools to help you determine which keywords are most applicable to your small business website. Just know that their desire to sell you advertising will result in a degree of bias. Here’s a great summary of research tools.
- Getting Specific– Keywords usually consist of keyword phrases. This means that geography and specialty terms will help guide customers to your business website. Instead of just using the keyword “dentist”, you’d use phrases like “pain free dentist” or “Atlanta pain free dentist”.
- Strength in Numbers– Pay attention to the relative popularity among the search terms rather than just the number of monthly searches. You want to be certain that enough people realistically use that phrase when considering your niche to make it worth your while.
- High Relevance– The search terms you’re looking for are those highly relevant to your particular goal. Lead conversion websites with a product or service to sell, will have a different approach that websites for charities or content publications.
- Developing a Content Resource– This is key. Does your keyword phrase support the creation of content that satisfies the preliminary need of your site visitors? Does it act as the first step in the action cycle? Will it prompt people to link to it?
Put these 5 essential elements together and reap the benefits of keyword research that builds your small business website search rankings.
Take the first step and contact the Website Architects to learn how it’s done.